The local governor in Turkey stated that more than 50 people were died on Saturday, August 20 when a suspected suicide bomber detonated his explosives among people who have a good time on the street at a marriage ceremony in the southern Turkish city of Gaziantep.
While reacting to the occurrence, Turkey’s president Recep Tayyip Erdogan said it was probably the Islamic State militants who carried out the late-night attack, the deadliest bombing in Turkey in 2016. The local governor’s office issued a statement informing that no fewer than 50 people lost their lives in the suicide attack, while several people sustained various degrees of injury and were currently being treated in hospitals around the area. The statement reads: “The celebrations were coming to an end and there was a big explosion among people dancing,” said 25-year-old Veli Can. “There were blood and body parts everywhere.”
The statement from security sources, said: “Blood stains and burns marked the walls of the narrow lane where the wedding party was attacked while women in white and checkered scarves cried sitting cross-legged and waiting outside the morgue for word on missing relatives. “At least 12 people were buried on Sunday, August 21 but other funerals would have to wait because many of the victims were blown to pieces and DNA forensics tests would be needed to identify them.”
The pro-Kurdish Peoples’ Democratic Party, or HDP, issued a statement, explaining the marriage ceremony was for one of its members, and women and children had been among those that died.